Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

New Duck & cleaning Silver

I haven't been in our resale shop here for some time maybe 2 months anyway soon as I stepped in I spotted this duck casserole. My Mom had the same duck my youngest sister has it in her kitchen for the time being she is remodeling and discarding all her old kitchen items. I told her  I would be up to get a few things I don't want her selling  it for a dollar in  her yard sale. LOl Like I need more stuff.

Anyway the duck is living here for a while and possibly my Mom's Duck

Sunday after I finished  painting the bakers rack and moving it inside I had intentions of cleaning a few silver pieces.

also the baker's rack is in my bedroom and I think I will put all my white ironstone dishes on it also the brown & white transferware

Today while reading a blog and I really forgot which one , one I hadn't read before anyway she was cleaning her silver trays with baking soda and aluminum foil. I thought I am trying that this afternoon after work.

So stopped at the local grocery got my baking soda and here I go.

       this is before pictures , oh wait the duck first


before cleaned

this oval covered is silver plate

This is just my cracker container cleaned sitting with the dirty silver to compare. I bought this at an high end estates sale I say that because some estate sales are really yard sales.

     This little child's dish   is sterling as the  three bowls they are marked sterling with other marks on them  and was a lot easier to clean than the plated silver guess you could say didn't take as long to soak the tarnish off.

It has a name on it and I didn't even know that till I was cleaning it love the bay cherub face on the handle                                                           



    Mary Leighton Taylor    June 19 ,22 I love monogrammed items

              after

  they all look so much better I don't care if the new thing is tarnished silver I like mine cleaned                                             
                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                                                                   

These are the sterling silver bowls very light weight . I have several sterling silver  baby cups  & spoons also to clean





It all looks so much better this took a little over one hour and I have about 8 more trays to clean, well another day after work I will get to it I need to mow my yard this evening


                     this is what the cleaning process looked like.
you use very hot water and about 1 cup of this baking soda and put aluminum foil in the container you use and just soak your item about 5 minutes then take it out and start wiping with paper towels. The lady I read about this used old towels . I had one of those aluminum foil pans and it worked great



Here is the new shop I  have mentioned before,  it is  repurposed great things .



Maple Hill Vintage Market

106 E Broadway, Ashland, MO

573-657-4106

Hours: Thursday & Friday 9AM to 6PM, Saturday 9AM to 3PM.

You can now follow us on facebook..Maple Hill Vintage Market.

                                                                           
 Linky parties I like to join In

Between Naps on the Porch (tablescapes                                                               
House of Hepworths  projects                                                              
 Beyond the Picket Fence                                                                    
 Brambleberry Cottage for purple passion
 Tales from Bloggeritaville
   No Minimalist blog party
 Pearl & Lace , just missed a give a  way
  French Country Cottage blog party
My Romantic Home show & tell Friday
Frugal Friday at The shabby Nest
Finding Fabulous
Finger prints on the Fridge                                                                                                                    

                     

14 comments:

  1. I love the duck. I have the same one except in terra cotta. Interesting isn't it. Wonder if the same company made both? I love yours better because it has a beautiful sheen to it. Maybe it has found a permanent home.
    I have heard of that cleaning method. Do you find it cleans as well as the rub a dub method? I think I may try this.
    Have a great weekend. Ginger:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If cleaning silver is this easy, I must try it! I like the tarnished look on some pieces of silver, others just scream to be polished. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same duck for sale in my shop. I mentioned you in my latest blog post. better stop by. Richard at My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your vintage silver!It is really beautiful! Silver really isn't that difficult to clean if you use a good silver polish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your silver pieces are so pretty! I used to have a duck just like that! HA! I have no idea what happened to it. You're making me wish I still had it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your nice comment on my blog......yes Fifi is great !! i love her ....the things she do are so great !!! ...enjoy your weekend....love Ria.,.....xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! thanks so much for sharing it with us. I might have to give that a try, but I can't decide if I want my stuff tarnished or shiny!!! Thank you too for joining me for Pearls and Lace Thursday! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please be careful cleaning your silver this way, particularly silver-plate. I have tried this method before and find it too harsh. While it cleans very nicely, it took off some of the silver. I regret having used this method and will just stick to Wrights and elbow grease. I would just hate for some of you to be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really Dorraine

    Thanks for the warning, maybe I better clean the rest of my silver the old fashion way with cream & rubbing a lot

    You never know unless someone tells us

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some beautiful silver pieces! The little cherub face on the handle is adorable.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. We like to use Hagerty's foaming silver polish, it's very gentle and doesn't leave paste in the design.
    Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, it let me find yours.
    AT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your silver looks wonderful Janice! I was wondering about that polishing method also? Ummmm can you come over and help me with mine? *winks* Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like this post very much. everything are enjoyable Heating and Cooling keswick

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing a very interesting and informative topic about heating maintenance, it helps me a lot, keep it up!
    Heating and Cooling hamilton

    ReplyDelete