Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

My Shabby Chippy Cabinet

I wanted to show my chippy, shabby cabinet. Empty & loaded. I am putting small mirrors on the shelves to show off my Staffordshire blue & white calico dishes better. I have collected these dishes for over 25 years. I have the old set made in staffordshire England, then I have the new set made by Queen's that I use for every day. I remember the first time I seen them in a Bride magazine in the late 1979. I lived In Paducah Ky.

After moving to where I live now I was out hunting antiques and ran across a little shop that a husband & wife shared, He sold gas and she sold BEAUTIFUL dishes. Mostly antiques. She had ordered this set of dishes from England . I about screamed when I seen them. The dishes I had seen in that Bride's magazine in 1979. I wanted them all. I put a place setting for 4 plus the creamed & sugar , butter, dish, tea pot, and a small platter on lay-a-way. I paid on them for about 6 months. I mailed my payments to her . Every once in a while I would drive up to that little town just to see what else she had gotten in that matched my set. I bought every thing she had eventually that matched my set. This took about 2 years. After several years I drove back up one day to see the place closed. I asked around the business's close by they told me she was sick. I called her and she remembered me. How could she forget , I was always calling her to see what new dish she had in for me.


3 comments:

  1. Found your blog through The Shabby Chic Cottage...so glad I did (: Love your cabinet and the dishes are beautiful!

    Michele
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story about your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! Love, love, love the hen!

    ReplyDelete